Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Adventures of Said Tomato

On Tuesday, February 15, 2011 I found out that I am expecting my first child... who also happens to be a tomato plant. I know it's kind of sudden but I just want everyone to know that I am VERY excited and will definitely be keeping it.

To get this little guy(or girl) growing, I took him/her out of his/her little envelope and placed him/her in a little white Dixie cup under about 1/4 inch of soil.

I watered him/her on Thursday 2/17, Saturday 2/19, and Sunday 2/20. He/she has spent the past couple of days on my window sill with his/her surrogate brother/sister (who will one day be the lovely child of Jessica). The friends have received sunlight everyday,and yesterday I even opened the window a little bit to give them some fresh air (cause it was so very pretty outside yesterday!)

As you can see, I've decided not to find out the sex of the tomato. I just think it will be so much more exciting to find out when he/she is finally sprouted. I also am waiting to name him/her until I see his/her little sprout. I want to make sure they look like they can play the part of their name before I give it to him, you know? Also, I will not be revealing any potential names to anyone until the tomato sprouts... I hate politics.

Today, 2/20, I think I may see what could be the beginning of a SPROUT!!! :] :] I will update more tomorrow on whether or not this is indeed what I am seeing!!!


Said Tomato:


My surrogate friend (right) and I (left) (notice my potential little sprout thing!):


UPDATE 2/21: WE HAVE A LITTLE SPROUT!!!!!! Name still to come.. I want to get a good look at HIM and pray about it a little bit before making a final decision.

HERE HE IS!!!:]



UPDATE 2/29: After much thought, prayer, and consultation with family, I have come to realize that there is only one name fitting for my precious tomato: Matthew McConaughey. You know, I really don't know where I came up with it but it just popped in my head one day and sounded like a really attractive name and decided to go with it. Not much change in the looks of the little guy, except that he has gotten a little taller. I continue to water him every other day with a few sprinkles of water, and he is still setting in his usual spot on my window sill where he receives plenty of sunlight throughout the day. Tomorrow, a family friend (Baby Josh) will be coming over for a play date. I can tell he's as stoked as I am for my little guy's very first play date. I'll be sure to update yall on how that goes!

UPDATE: I have finally retrieved my little guy from the babysitter (DR. ROOD--WOOO) after spring break. Don't get me wrong, I had a FABULOUS time in Scotland, but I sure did miss this little booger. Said babysitter did a wonderful job tending to his needs, and I swear he must have grown 3 sizes while I was gone! I can't believe it. He is just growing up sooo fast

UPDATE 3/28: Phew, we had a little scare yesterday. I looked over at the little man the other day and he really seemed to be withering. He was looking rough. BUT, I quickly got him some water and turned his little self around a little bit of that he could get sun on his other side and he is doing MUCH better today!!! :]

UPDATE 4/4: AHHHHH, after such the long week of rain and darkness the little guy is looking really, really ROUGH!! He is all withered and droopy and stuff. I'm taking him to the doctor I don't care what anyone else says.

UPDATE 4/5: The sun is back and we are looking a little healthier!! Keep praying!

UPDATE: I've been trying to keep this from everyone for some time now but... after I was in Daytona for a week... for cheerleading nationals... in April.. the guy looked REALLY rough. And.... he never recovered. :( That's right. He's a goner. I'm a horrible mother. RIP little Matthew McConaughey.

In his honor and because I love you all so much, I leave you all with this:


His name sake. You're welcome.

1 comment: